Everyone is aware of the pressures facing NHS services as we prepare for a very challenging winter.
At Poplar Grove we continually look at how we can get the most out of all available appointments. A recent Demand V Capacity Analysis showed that for every appointment available, at least 5 patients are seeking it.
In August 2023, we implemented a new system where every morning, one of our GPs is based alongside our highly trained patient services team (PST), ensuring the correct care is provided and that appointments are made efficiently.
Benefits to GP Navigation
- All appointment requests are clinically triaged by our GP. This ensures the right appointment is offered to suit the patient’s needs.
- We are offering more pre-bookable appointments, either face to face or a telephone call
- We are able to deal with “quick wins” like out of stock medications, prescription approval and signposting to other services when a GP appointment is not necessary.
- Complaints have significantly decreased and our appointment availability is being used more productively.
Challenges to GP Navigation
- We are aware call waiting times in the mornings are slightly longer, but once you get into the queue, all queries are dealt with efficiently.